Blended Finance Programs
“Blended Finance is the strategic use of development finance and philanthropic funds to mobilize private capital flows to emerging and frontier markets. (It) represents an opportunity to drive significant new capital flows into high-impact sectors, while effectively leveraging private sector expertise….”
OECD / World Economic Forum, 2015
Our Program Scope
At Social Finance Academy, we educate impact investors, social entrepreneurs and public & philanthropic funders to successfully attract and deploy capital for scaling positive impact. We are specialized in all aspects of innovative & blended finance and run targeted education formats for different types of funders, for example:
- Executive Programs on Impact Investing & Blended Finance (e.g. for development agencies & foundations, or for investors, asset managers & banks)
- (In-house) Blended Finance Workshops & Trainings
Test Your Knowledge
Curious to test how familiar you already are with Blended Finance?
Take the SFA knowledge test!
IIBF Executive Programs
“Impact Investment & Blended Finance for Development Agencies & Foundations” (IIBF) Executive Program
The Social Finance Academy – with our partners the University of Zurich Center for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth (CSP) and Convergence – ran this executive program first-time in 2018, supported by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). Based on excellent feedback by participants, we offer this program permanently. It is targeted at development agencies, public or multilateral organizations as well as foundations with a focus on international development. In the meantime, the program is available in 2- or 3-day versions and different regions. More information on upcoming iterations below.
IIBF 3-Day Programs
The 3-day program typically takes place at its home base: the University of Zurich Center for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth, in Zurich (Switzerland). In addition to several core lectures by highly experienced, engaged and renowned speakers, this format features a multitude of live cases and guest speakers to add as much “flesh to the bone” as possible. Our goal: to inspire impact investment and blended finance beginners to become active practitioners.
(1) IIBF Zurich, September 9 to 11, 2020
The new flyer for this 2020 iteration will come soon. If you would like to secure your seat early and in a binding way, please go to the University of Zurich CSP registration link and add “IIBF September 2020” in the comment section of the form. The early-bird rate of CHF 3,350 applies until April 30, 2020. The regular program fee is CHF 3,950. Core speakers, target groups, program goals and content design will be similar to the 2019 iteration outlined in our 2019 flyer below.
In case you would rather like to express your general, non-binding interest in our IIBF programs, please feel free to stay tuned for more information.
IIBF 2-Day Programs
In June 2019, we piloted a shorter 2-day version together with UNDP Egypt, again with our program partners the University of Zurich CSP and Convergence. This training received excellent ratings, which encouraged us to offer this 2-day format permanently. The main difference to the 3-day program is a stronger focus on the IIBF core lectures and a smaller number of live cases (typically 2). Our goal: to cater to participants who need to be more time- and budget-conscious but are still eager to get on top of the latest, practice-driven blended finance knowledge.
(2) IIBF Jordan, November 25 to 26, 2019
We recently partnered with UNDP Jordan to offer this regional 2-day IIBF program in Amman, Jordan. For more information, please check out the IIBF Jordan 2019 flyer below. If you would like to submit a binding registration, please go to this link. Better be quick, seats are strictly limited to ensure an intensive and interactive learning experience!
(3) IIBF Zurich, May 14 to 15, 2020
This is our regular 2-day program iteration held in Zurich, Switzerland. You can find an outline and tentative agenda in this IIBF Zurich May 2020 flyer. If you would like to participate, please submit a binding registration for the 2020 iteration here by adding “IIBF May 2020” in the comment section of the form. The early-bird fee is CHF 2,450 per participant and expires on January 31, 2020. The regular program fee is CHF 2,950.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to our growing community of Blended Finance enthusiasts!
Here are some impressions from the 2018 IIBF 3-day program in Zurich (video)
IIBF in the News
Featured on NextBillion: “A Recipe for Change: Can Blended Finance Help Trigger an ‘Impact Revolution’?” (by Christina Moehrle, Social Finance Academy & Roots of Impact)
Inspired to get a quick start into the topic of Blended Finance? Here are some recommended readings:
- World Economic Forum “Blended Finance Primer”
- Center for Global Development “Four Challenges for Blended Finance and Development Finance Institutions” by Theodore Talbot
- Center for Global Development “Guarantees, Subsidies or Paying for Success? Choosing the Right Instrument to Catalyze Private Investment in Developing Countries” working paper 402
- Blended Finance Taskforce “Better Finance Better World“
- Convergence “The State of Blended Finance 2018“
- Center for Global Development “Billions to Trillions? Issues on the Role of Development Banks in Mobilizing Private Finance“
- The Boston Consulting Group “How Impact-Linked Finance Can Accelerate the SDGs“
- Roots of Impact & the Boston Consulting Group “Accelerating Impact-Linked Finance“
- Roots of Impact & Ashoka “The Market is Imperfect – Let’s Deal with it” by Bjoern Struewer and Dr. Rory Tews
- Roots of Impact “Pay for Success with an Important Twist” by Bjoern Struewer and Christina Moehrle