“Blended Finance is the strategic use of development finance and philanthropic funds to mobilize private capital flows to emerging and frontier markets. (It) represents an opportunity to drive significant new capital flows into high-impact sectors, while effectively leveraging private sector expertise….”
OECD / World Economic Forum, 2015
At Social Finance Academy, we educate impact investors, social entrepreneurs and public & philanthropic funders to successfully attract and deploy capital for scaling positive impact. We are specialized in all aspects of innovative & blended finance and run targeted education formats for different types of funders, for example:
- Executive Programs on Impact Investing & Blended Finance (e.g. for donor organisations & foundations, or for asset managers & banks)
- (In-house) Blended Finance Workshops & Trainings
(1) “Impact Investment & Blended Finance for Development Agencies & Foundations” (IIBF), 3-day program in Zurich
In August 2018, the Social Finance Academy – with our partners the University of Zurich Center for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth (CSP) and Convergence – organized for the first time an executive program, supported by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). The program was targeted at development agencies, public or multilateral organizations as well as foundations with a focus on international development. Following a very successful iteration, we decided to repeat the 3-day program in 2019: It will take place from August 28 to 30, 2019 in Zurich.
If you are interested in learning how to apply blended finance and impact investing to boost the SGDs, stay tuned for more to come. For a first inspiration, please feel free to check out our training offer by clicking here for our 2019 program flyer. The program is now open for registrations at this University of Zurich CSP registration link.
(2) “Impact Investment & Blended Finance for Development Agencies & Foundations” (IIBF), 2-day program in Kairo
Based on our 2018 pilot program in Zurich, the Social Finance Academy, the University of Zurich CSP and Convergence partnered with UNDP Egypt to launch a special 2-day iteration in Kairo, Egypt. This training will take place from April 10 to 11, 2019. Flyer and registration link will follow within short.
Article on the IIBF
Featured on NextBillion: “A Recipe for Change: Can Blended Finance Help Trigger an ‘Impact Revolution’?” (by Christina Moehrle, Social Finance Academy/Roots of Impact)
Inspired to get a quick start into the topic of Blended Finance? Here are a few recommended readings:
- World Economic Forum “Blended Finance Primer”
- Center for Global Development “Four Challenges for Blended Finance and Development Finance Institutions” by Theodore Talbot
- Center for Global Development “Guarantees, Subsidies or Paying for Success? Choosing the Right Instrument to Catalyze Private Investment in Developing Countries” working paper 402
- Blended Finance Taskforce “Better Finance Better World“
- Center for Global Development “Billions to Trillions? Issues on the Role of Development Banks in Mobilizing Private Finance“
- Roots of Impact “Pay for Success with an Important Twist” by Bjoern Struewer and Christina Moehrle
- Roots of Impact, Ashoka “The Market is Imperfect – Let’s Deal with it” by Bjoern Struewer and Dr. Rory Tews