“Blended Finance is the strategic use of development finance and philanthropic funds to mobilize private capital flows to emerging and frontier markets. (It) represents an opportunity to drive significant new capital flows into high-impact sectors, while effectively leveraging private sector expertise….”
OECD / World Economic Forum, 2015
At Social Finance Academy, we educate impact investors, social entrepreneurs and public & philanthropic funders to successfully attract and deploy capital for scaling positive impact. We are specialized in all aspects of innovative & blended finance and run targeted education formats for different types of funders, for example:
- Executive Programs on Impact Investing & Blended Finance (e.g. for development agencies & foundations, or for investors, asset managers & banks)
- (In-house) Blended Finance Workshops & Trainings
(1) “Impact Investment & Blended Finance for Development Agencies & Foundations” (IIBF), 3-day program in Zurich
The Social Finance Academy – with our partners the University of Zurich Center for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth (CSP) and Convergence – organized this executive program first-time in 2018, supported by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC). Following a very successful first iteration, we decided to repeat the 3-day program in 2019: It will take place from August 28 to 30, 2019 in Zurich. The program ist targeted at development agencies, public or multilateral organizations as well as foundations with a focus on international development.
Generally interested in programs how to apply blended finance and impact investing to boost the SGDs? Then stay tuned for more to come.
Want to join the impact pioneers and register for our IIBF Zurich 2019 program? Check out our 2019 program flyer. The program is open for registration at this University of Zurich CSP registration link. Early-bird discounts expired April 30, 2019.
This iteration is officially sold out! Register or email to us for a potential short-term opportunity to join (->waiting list).
(2) “Impact Investment & Blended Finance for Development Agencies & Foundations” (IIBF), 2-day program in Cairo
Based on our 2018 pilot program in Zurich, the Social Finance Academy, the University of Zurich CSP and Convergence partnered with UNDP Egypt to launch a special 2-day iteration in Cairo, Egypt for the MENA region. This training will take place from June 17-18, 2019 -> to the flyer and registration link (limited seats!)
Here are some impressions from the 2018 IIBF in Zurich (video)
IIBF in the News
Featured on NextBillion: “A Recipe for Change: Can Blended Finance Help Trigger an ‘Impact Revolution’?” (by Christina Moehrle, Social Finance Academy & Roots of Impact)
Inspired to get a quick start into the topic of Blended Finance? Here are a few recommended readings:
- World Economic Forum “Blended Finance Primer”
- Center for Global Development “Four Challenges for Blended Finance and Development Finance Institutions” by Theodore Talbot
- Center for Global Development “Guarantees, Subsidies or Paying for Success? Choosing the Right Instrument to Catalyze Private Investment in Developing Countries” working paper 402
- Blended Finance Taskforce “Better Finance Better World“
- Convergence “The State of Blended Finance 2018“
- Center for Global Development “Billions to Trillions? Issues on the Role of Development Banks in Mobilizing Private Finance“
- The Boston Consulting Group “How Impact-Linked Finance Can Accelerate the SDGs“
- Roots of Impact & the Boston Consulting Group “Accelerating Impact-Linked Finance“
- Roots of Impact & Ashoka “The Market is Imperfect – Let’s Deal with it” by Bjoern Struewer and Dr. Rory Tews
- Roots of Impact “Pay for Success with an Important Twist” by Bjoern Struewer and Christina Moehrle